We all love to enjoy good food and celebrate special occasions with our families and friends by cooking dishes and flavours around the world. Favourites include Rogan Josh, Vindaloo, Hawaiian Poke bowl, Mexican Nachos, Thai Mussaman curry, Shawarma chicken and the list goes on! This is when we find ourselves looking at those old spices in our kitchen cabinets that we only used once or twice to make a dish. Sometimes, just the thought of making dishes from scratch is very intimidating for newbies. Here, handcrafted spice blends or mixes are very handy. You do not have to hunt for hard to find exotic spices to create that authentic flavour or worry about balancing the flavours or peeking through leftover individual spice jars in your spice cabinet.
Just buy Spice Zen's handcrafted, premium, certified organic, gluten free spice mixes that have been hand-roasted and stone ground to get the most authentic and balanced flavour with no salt, no sugar, no preservatives, no anti-caking agents. Why would you want to pay for these unnecessary additives when you only need pure spices as they should be! Our spice blends are convenient and add intensely layered flavours and aromatics that are especially important in cooking authentic recipes. Just get your fresh ingredients and get cooking! These spice blends are also endorsed by Coeliac Australia, giving comfort to our friends on a gluten free diet.
We are often asked – what spice blend goes well for lamb? We get very excited to share our amazing Rogan Josh recipe. Our Rogan Josh spice blend makes cooking this at home like a breeze, saves money and time on getting all the individual ingredients! Get the authentic taste at home that caters to your taste buds and dietary requirements! Enjoy the abundance of flavour and enjoy being creative by trying variations. Whether you love lamb, goat meat or are vegan/vegetarian. It pairs well with different meats and can add great flavour to other styles of curry. We have all bases covered and your imagination is the only limit!
Spice Blend Profile
Did you know that Rogan Josh is a popular Indian royal dish? So much so that it has the honour of being among the seven permanent dishes in Wazwan (a 36-course ceremonial and traditional Kashmiri feast). Globally acclaimed, Rogan josh is a signature dish of Kashmiri cuisine and was introduced to Kashmir by the Mughals.
Mild in chilli heat yet rich in flavour, Rogan Josh has become one of the most popular Indian curries. This delicious traditional dish is typically made with goat meat, braised and then slow-cooked until it is fall-apart tender. It works equally well with lamb or beef. Or cook a vegetarian Rogan Josh by pairing this spice blend with potatoes, sweet potatoes, eggplant, chickpeas, jack-fruit or cauliflower!
Spice Zen's Rogan Josh is a complex spice mix of the finest quality, incorporating over a dozen different herbs and spices, all perfectly balanced to produce a beautiful red hue and a warm, rich, aromatic flavour. Our Rogan Josh Spice Blend makes this beloved curry simple to prepare at home, made from certified organic Kashmiri Chilli and fresh whole spices, dry roasted and hand-ground to bring wonderfully authentic taste sensation to your table.
Rogan Josh Recipe
- 500 grams Lamb's shoulder or Goat meat, diced
- 1 teaspoon Spice Zen Rogan Josh Spice Blend
- ½ cup yoghurt (optional lactose-free yoghurt)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Spice Zen Rogan Josh Spice Blend
- 2 Medium onions, pureed
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste (optional substitute with Spice Zen Fresh Ground Dried Ginger )
- 1 teaspoon Garlic paste (optional substitute with Spice Zen Fresh Ground Dried Garlic )
- ½ cup Tomato puree
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoon Ghee (clarified butter) or cooking oil
- Fresh Coriander, chopped to garnish
- Salt to taste
- Combine salt, yoghurt and 1 teaspoon Spice Zen Rogan Josh Spice Blend. Add Goat/ lamb and coat well with the marinade. Set aside in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes or longer.
- Heat a pan with a heavy base over medium heat with 2 tablespoons ghee/ oil. Add 1 tablespoon Spice Zen Rogan Josh Spice Blend and sauté. Add the pureed onion, ginger and garlic paste and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the tomato puree, salt and water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Brown the marinated goat/ lamb pieces in a separate pan with 1 tablespoon ghee/oil to seal it and caramelise the flavour. Add the browned meat to the sauce along with any leftover juices. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour or until the meat is tender. Adjust the water for the desired consistency and to avoid drying out the meat. Garnish with chopped coriander. Serve hot with naan or rice.
There you have it! The best authentic Rogan Josh you will ever have outside India and all made by you!
In India, it is a ritual to conclude a family feast with a cup of Chai. In Kashmir, it is customary to have Kashmiri Kahwa or Green Tea Chai. It is aromatic, warming and assist in stimulating gastric enzymes that aids with the digestion of rich curry.
Please share your success with this dish on socials using the hashtag #spicezenfamily.
You can also check out our reel showing the process behind making it at home!